Skip to content
- The retention period of records in Kafka is configurable.
- The default retention period is 7 days. The retention period is specific to topic. SO in the cluster each topic can have their own retention period.
- The retention attribute is available in the server.properties of the apache kafka distribution.
The attribute is log.retention.hours=168
- Lets say the retention period is one day then in this case the record will be discarded after one day to free up some space in the cluster.
- Irrespective of all the consumers have consumed the message, the record will sit in the cluster until the retention period expires.
- The performance of kafka is consistent with respect to data size so holding the data from log time is not an issue here